A little video from Greta Christina on Why Atheists are Angry.
I'm angry about religion. I'm becoming angrier. I'm angry for all of these reasons Greta listed. I think it is absurd that it's pretty much us and the Friends who are fighting for people to be able to believe and practice the way they want without being oppressed and victimized by the rich and powerful institutions that have oppressed and victimized people for millenia. I'm angry that bloggers like Greta fear for their safety. And, yes, I'm angry that no one stops to think that we are angry for a reason.
But the reason that I'm angriest, the part that impacts me personally, the part that sickens me when I watch movies I used to like, listen to stories I used to love, sing songs that used to lift my heart--that part? I'm wretchedly bitter about being lied to. I'm angry that I wasted so many years of my life. I'm angry that at 24 I had to learn how to grieve all over again. I had to learn how to cope with terrible people all over again. I had to relearn how to express joy, sympathy, fear, anger, sorrow, and even sexual satisfaction. I have spent my entire adult life fighting to readjust my life and my brain because someone else lied to me. And, worse, I know that the people who lied to me are more lied to and still more entrenched than I.
It is sickening.
But it is heartening to remember that we are not the first to be called angry. And we will not be the last. And, most importantly, we aren't buying the lie that being angry makes us weak.
No comments:
Post a Comment