Google Analytics Alternative

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Pancreatic Cancer - Request for Donations

I am, as it happens, rather conflicted about disease walks. I don't really understand the purpose they serve, and I'm certain there are more productive fundraising activities. But, they mean a lot to people. And so, I'll be (volunteering) at one in a couple weeks.

One of my aunts, Ellen Murray, was diagnosed earlier this year with pancreatic cancer. It's a real bitch, this one, since it can test tricky and you can seem to be doing better when you aren't. Two weeks ago, she was doing really well. She died on the morning of October 21st. But, as I know too well, you can actually be doing better and still lose (although she died of a pulmonary embolism).

Ellen was well loved by family, friends, and community. Her parents died when she was still in school and she worked and raised her siblings. She took in a niece and nephew when they needed stability. She gave her life to caring for her family and had a beautiful one to show for it, with three lovely grandchildren.

Stu, my uncle, had recently come from visiting a friend of his in hospice when I spoke to him two weeks ago. His voice broke as he told me how emaciated his friend looked and how nearly unrecognizable he was. This friend has been battling prostate cancer for many years. Stu expressed how much he hoped Ellen wouldn't reach that place. Stu is gregarious. He's loving and compassionate and becomes quickly involved with those he meets--you know the kind who has never met a stranger. But Ellen was a rock--in many ways. She was very warm with those close to her, but was also quite reserved. It can only be that her life had required so much work from her that she was required to become selective in whom she confided. But she was also most assuredly the stalwart source of his confidence. Seeing her, compromised and suffering as so many late-stage patients can become, would be too much to bear. Having seen it so closely again and again, as I know Stu has as well, I don't begrudge him this. Neither of us knew how quickly his wish--and his fear--would come true.

And so it is, in honor of the devotion they shared for 38 years, I will go and volunteer for the walk in Savannah on the 6th. I would like to raise $380 for it. So here is my plea for donations. Someday we will be able to say that no one will ever die of this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment