Once upon a time, in a galaxy far, far away, I went to school in Jupiter. There is a lovely little place with fantastic food, and my husband and I went back there when a friend of mine was visiting in Palm Beach. It's called the Food Shack and when we went back, the special was this fantastic clam and coconut milk soup. I saw the coconut milk at the store today and thought I'd try to make it for dinner. It's probably very little like the soup at the restaurant, but it was REALLY good.
All ingredients are approximate and should not be relied upon.
I served it over basmati rice
1lb mussels
1lb shrimp
1 can clams in clam juice (tuna-sized can, not too much)
1 serrano pepper
1 red bell pepper
~10 brown mushrooms
1 1/2c sugar snap peas
5 green onions
5 cloves garlic
1 can coconut milk
some water to desired consistency
curry powder
ginger
five spice (go easy on it, mine ended up less thai-ish than I wanted. lames)
salt
pepper
slice the serrano and garlic and mushrooms and chop the green onions and the red pepper
simmer the shellfish in the coconut milk and water with the serrano, garlic, and green onions
add the spices as desired
simmer about half an hour
leave the snap peas whole and add about 5 minutes before you serve. (I cooked them too long and they weren't as crisp as I wanted them to be.)
So, hurrah. Delicious, hot, filling gluten free goodness. Also, hot enough to cause instant clothing loss. meeow.
For the record, I'm cheap and I buy frozen seafood. I know, foodie blasphemy. :p
This sounds really tasty!
ReplyDeleteBuying frozen seafood is not really a problem to me. Of course I live in the middle of the country, and so all we really get fresh is catfish, trout, and crawfish. A lot of seafood is processed on the ships that catch them. You, and I will NEVER see fresh (never frozen) tuna, unless we catch it ourselves.