Google Analytics Alternative

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Health (Or, the one in which she airs the rest of her laundry.)

I'm awaiting what might be life-changing health news. I've been awaiting this news on multiple occasions this spring, if not for over a year now. I was diagnosed with PCOS August 2010, but the testing didn't stop there. One test after another after another. We know the problem, we just have to find the cause. The series of tests?

Blood -- All hormones responding appropriately to treatment (PCOS) except DHEA-S.
Blood -- I have normal cortisol and thyroid levels with still abnormal DHEA-S levels, but I have high growth hormone levels.
More blood -- Glucose tolerance test done incorrectly.
More blood -- I had a poor response on (the second) glucose tolerance test.
MRI -- I don't seem to have a pituitary tumor.

What I'm waiting on now is a CT result. I'm also waiting on insurance approval to schedule (yet another) blood test, this time for growth hormone releasing hormone, to help pinpoint where in the cycle the problem lies.

The test results and symptoms might suggest Acromegaly, but I'm short of a diagnosis. This condition can be caused by pituitary, adrenal, pancreatic, or lung tumors, generally all benign. At least benign insofar as one can ignore the decade(s) the disease can steal.

So this process has been ongoing since initially attempting to schedule with the endocrinologist in December. I'm exhausted physically. And all the assorted delays and tests and news and not news has me completely drained emotionally.

I never asked to be exciting. But I thought I'd lend my voice to the small group out there. My hope is that the phone will ring and we'll have some kind of confirmation and then we can start doing something meaningful about all this. I'm also hoping that the PCOS-type symptoms I have are just fallout from this illness. I hate, hate, hate Metformin XR and I'm tired of eating ALL. THE. TIME. to avoid nausea.

No comments:

Post a Comment