Google Analytics Alternative

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Lazy Soup Recipe

Last month, in the depths of sadness and bad weather, I stopped for lunch at Panera. I don't do this very often, because it's really out of my price range and I would honestly be better served by gluing the bread directly to my stomach (oh right and it is such obvious infidelity to my dear Celiac beloved). But, that day I needed the love. Yes, food is love. Get over your ideas that it isn't.

Anyways.

They had this nomilicious cream of chicken and wild rice soup. I was so in love with it that after work I stopped at Publix and bought what I needed to make my own enormous pot of it.

And so I did.

And I'm making it again today, because it's cold and I need to rewarm my insides. But, does that mean I'm going to give you a carefully constructed recipe of a delicious gluten free soup? Not a chance.

Make a white roux. A lot. Yes, it is horrible for you. It's winter. Let it go.
I'm making a stock pot full, so I'm using about 3/4 of potato flour because my husband likes his soup thick. Last time, we ate this for three days. Your mileage may vary. Also, please use real butter, unless you can't.

Add some chicken stock and maybe some vegetable stock. I use the unsalted Kitchen Basics stock. I used two boxes. I then added about a quart of water. Add this slowly so as not to lump your roux. Use a whisk so your grandmother doesn't beat you.

Then add your goodies. I used cubed raw chicken, chopped onion, sliced carrots, some thyme, and a jar of wild rice. Add enough. How much is enough? Depends how much soup you're making and how chunky you want it. Use your discretion.

From Gluten-Free Tallahassee


Simmer it for a while. You know, till it's right. Probably an hour.

Then I added some chopped mushrooms and broccoli. Cook it till they're soft. Why didn't I add these earlier? Because overcooked broccoli is a crime against humanity. And I know a thing or two about those.

From Gluten-Free Tallahassee


When the broccoli is soft but still green, add some cream. Whole cream, not that wimpy fat free half and half crap. Then salt and pepper it gently.

From Gluten-Free Tallahassee


Yeah, it really is that easy. Soup does not require a recipe.

Hey look. Here's my soup. Mmmmm soup.

From Gluten-Free Tallahassee

No comments:

Post a Comment