Google Analytics Alternative

Monday, May 24, 2010

It's what's for dinner

Planning dinner is, inevitably, like dumpster-diving in Alaska, without having to watch my back for pot-shots from gun-crazed ex-governors.

I don't really care that it means I will never be a great cook, my chest freezer is my best friend. But sometimes I resent the cold fingers and the endless guessing games of which frosty protein will grace my table after lots of beepy noises are emitted by my microwave in last-minute defrost efforts. I will never consistently remember to set something out for dinner. This is my burden.

I've learned a lot about what is and isn't possible in the kitchen in my long and devoted relationship with this freezer. You cannot dredge and pan-fry post-frozen fish. You can batter and fry it, though. You can dredge and pan-fry post-frozen chicken, even with a fancy-sounding (and time consuming) and DELICIOUS nut crust. I'm quite convinced chickens evolved specifically to be prime frozen dinner options. Vegetables can also be fantastic post-freezer, especially when they come in enormous plastic bags ready to be scooped out in single-serving amounts (or, really, triple serving amounts; you should eat more vegetables). But, nothing makes me happier than stocking the freezer full of delicious and rare (for those of moderate income) proteins purchased at any discount. Anyone who thinks shellfish shouldn't be frozen hasn't lived on less than $20,000 (or maybe less than $100,000, frankly).

Since my husband's diagnosis, I've had varying success (and a lot of failures) with food experiments. Those experiments can get expensive when dealing with impossible ingredients obtained at a premium. But, my freezer saves the day in every other department.

Tonight's dinner with probably be macaroni and cheese, with sautéed leeks, spinach, and peppers on the side, with only the spinach having graced the freezer. But, you can trust tomorrow's meal, which may include leftovers from the Blue Crab Festival, will center around that blessed white box.

No comments:

Post a Comment